Lord_Chris

Guests downloading files - should we allow this?

OK, I'm a bit unsure whether to allow guests to download files. Should they be allowed to or not?

The fields have eyes, and the woods have ears.

⁠— Geoffrey Chaucer, The Canterbury Tales: The Knight's Tale

Useful Articles

I'd say no. Guests don't participate on the site, so they shouldn't be allowed to download files. And also, it's likely to make them reigster more then which is bteter for the site.

Edited by Lord Mordred

"Use the dark magics against them!"

Mordred -- Stronghold Legends

Hmm... I'm undecided on this one. Personally I agree, but I'd like to see what other people think as well first.

Useful Articles

If you don't allow it then you will only get a few people registering (StrongholdKnights only allowed registered visitors to download or post, their site was the first to quit) HG allows down loads but no posting, sometimes someone downloads a map and wants to say something about it and will register, allowing free downloads, what does it hurt?

Most people I know hate having to register to a site for anything, only after going to a site for a while and finding something they like or feel safe do they register.

A few thoughts!

Here's a bit of perspective, 150-200 views, only 15-20 downloads.

Some of those people that did not register and download the maps might have come back eventually to register.

Edited by Lord Vetka

allowing free downloads, what does it hurt?

The only issue then is that people would attempt to duplicate them elsewhere on the net I suppose, so we would have to put a copyright notice in every file or figure out some way to stop them. If it was only registered users then we would be able to find out who it was easier, narrowing it down easier. Then the respectable account could be disabled. It's much harder if it's guests.

Edited by Lord_Chris

Useful Articles

Why would you care about copyright? there's no money involved, no one ever copied any of my maps from or anyone elses for that matter that I know of from HG.

I suppose you're right, plus if people ask first then it wouldn't be as much of a problem. I would just rather not allow them on other sites that's all, especially some of the better downloads.

I'll allow guests to download.

Useful Articles

You know if your not comfortable letting non registered users download maps then don't do it it's your site.

We live in a rushed world, I like to let things go for a while, think about it, look at things from a different view, let some time go by before I make any final decisions, I find less trouble more successes that way.

What I would like to see is how to get people to come back and make some comments about the free map they just played, making maps and the package that goes with them is a lot of hard work, fun work, I only ask for some feedback on my maps, not to much to ask for I don't think.

Your great Chris, ratings to, but your the only one.

I did ask for that on the last few maps I posted at HG and did get some more people coming back and giving some valued feedback, some even had to register!

Edited by Lord Vetka

I'm thinking about the successes of HG and SHK. While they were both very successful (I don't know how many members SHK had) I believe that HG were more successful. And while personally I may not be very keen on the idea of guests downloading, I must do what is best for the site and I must be honest, in this instance I think it is allowing guests to download.

I also believe that you've created a very valid argument as to why guests should be allowed to download files. And you are correct, there's nothing I despise more than having to register purely to download files from a site. In fact, I downloaded maps from HG and that was one of the primary reasons I initially registered there, to comment and join in with things going on over there.

I can remember at first that I was unsure whether I would download a virus from there (you can never be too careful!), but once I downloaded a couple I knew it would be fine so I registered. It will probably also make people feel safer and more confident around the site allowing them to download files without registering.

I also remember the excitement of downloading files from HG and the disappointment of not being able to download from SHK.

Guests can now download!

I just only hope it's the right decision. :/

Useful Articles

I just wanted to tell that I believe this was the right decision - not to force someone to register in order to download maps. I agree that many people may have concern, when registering at some random website. Of course, I agree that this is not just some "random website", but I guess you know what I mean. I don't like it as well, when a website forces me to register in order to download something.

I also think that this could serve as a promotion of this website. Some players simply want only to play the game, and don't have a need to write about it. So these visitors that had to register will not come back, and the website would have nothing of that registration. It would be only a number. But this way, when people can download maps freely, it would be more likely that someone would download new maps here, after someone recommendation.

And speaking about promotion of the website... Could that be possible Stronghold Nations to get higher in Google search? Or that would depend only of visits, and stuff like that?

Could that be possible Stronghold Nations to get higher in Google search? Or that would depend only of visits, and stuff like that?

What you're referring to is here is SEO (Search Engine Optimisation). It depends on several things. For example, the number of views one page has had means it's likely to come out higher, the number of searches containing "strongholdnation" and other stuff. There are other internal things the site owner can do, like submit a sitemap to Google and keep that side of it fine. That's the job of Black_Knight. As webmaster of the site, he frequently updates the sitemaps on the server and google cache stuff.

I regularly browse google and remove any links that have been indexed incorrectly or that we don't necessarily want indexing (google indexes some really weird links!)

Primarily the reason why we don't appear very high in google is because we currently have a page rank of zero (out of ten). This is primarily because we are a very new site and it takes time to get trusted by other sites and get high in google. The things I have mentioned above are some of the ways to increase your page rank, but it really takes time. It can take up to several months before things are updated on places such as google. Another factor is the hosting service, but we have an excellent hosting service so that should be no problem.

The good news is, that as long as we update our sitemap (manually whenever it needs updating) then new pages get indexed in approximately three days, I've checked. The more we appear in external sites and google links.etc, the higher our page rank will become, meaning we will be higher in searches. Another factor is relevance to the current search. If there is a more relevant page, it will display that instead of ours. That's why when adding files and articles, you should add tags to it separated by commas as they help people find it easier.

Useful Articles

Thanks for detailed explanation. So, I see, all we need to do now is to wait for some time, and also try to make this website richer. I am planning to upload all my maps here, and will do it - by the time, all I have on Stronghold Heaven, I will upload here as well.

Off topic... I remember there was a topic, or section, where we would come and brag about some of our battles. I liked that one. Maybe we could do something like that here as well. The only "problem" now is that I have a feeling how that could be considered as a spam, when I come to forum, and start a fresh topic, only to brag about some my achievement on battlefield.:D It was somehow easier to write something like that, when there tens of posts like that written before.:) I don't remember if that a topic, or a section, or a topic started by administrator, maybe pinned, or something like that...

Glad to see you'll be uploading your maps, that's always good to see our collection increasing :D

As before, I don't really think there should be an entire forum for it as it isn't a game of it's own, and sub-forums are pointless as we'd need one for each game. But if you create a topic in a forum of your choice about it I'll stick it for you ;)

Another thing: Your signature, I don't know whether you were aware, but we actually run a signature of the month competition (SOTM) every month now and your signature looks very good and would certainly pass for this month's theme. I don't know whether you were intending to enter, but here is the link to the thread in case you were as you must post there as well: http://forums.strongholdnation.co.uk/topic/120-signature-of-the-month-may-2014/

Useful Articles

As before, I don't really think there should be an entire forum for it as it isn't a game of it's own, and sub-forums are pointless as we'd need one for each game. But if you create a topic in a forum of your choice about it I'll stick it for you ;)

Thanks. :) As soon as I win some touch mission, I'm gonna post it there. Or maybe I start it with one of the battles I am proudest of! :D Winning of the last mission in Warchest trail - with no use of shields, or stuff like that. I won the the game the way it was meant to be played! :cool: I had that one on Stronghold Knights forum, and I will write it again here.

As about the signature - thanks for noticing me. I am aware of that competition, but I'm not sure if I'm gonna change it a bit. I'm don't like it how I didn't move those few crossbowmen away from the mangonel, so I think I'm gonna remake this banner, and then I'm gonna apply for signature of the month. :)

I'm just starting to get the idea of tags now, do they work when a map gets posted?

I posted an idea at HG about being able to post saved games, if you could post game saves that would allow other players to learn new strategies and to be able to ask for help and make for some interesting viewing, the idea went over well but nothing came of it.

I've posted a few challenge maps and players sent me their save at victory and it was very interesting to see what other players have done to win a map.

They work with maps, articles, anything really here that's submitted. Tags are more commonly known as "Meta Keywords". Providing they are related to what you are submitting it's fine. Otherwise, the page may be rejected by Google if it's found to be showing it's something it's not.

That's a really good idea, I often wonder how other people play maps, and that one of mine you sent me a couple of months ago was interesting because it was completely different to how I do it. I'm not quite sure yet how we'd implement it, but I would certainly like to try that.

To add to my point above about SEO:

Another factor which helps a lot is backlinks - links from other websites to this one. One factor that is always looked into is social networks and how many times your site appears in a social networking website such as twitter or facebook. This means the site is more likely to be safe, so it will receive a higher page rank because of it. That's why so many websites often try to force you to 'like to download!' or 'share this on twitter!!' now - it improves their position and ranking. Wikipedia is a prime example of this. Any links from Wikipedia to here would most certainly help to increase the page rank because it's a strongly trusted website. You can help greatly by instead of entering the URL http://www.strongholdnation.co.uk, searching google for strongholdnation and the like.

Useful Articles

Why not make a page about Stronghold in Wikipedia and link the website? Would that help?

"Gofyn wyf am galon hapus, calon onest, calon l?n."

I have linked in the stronghold wikia, but I really don't have the time to site and search for pages to put links to the site in at the minute. :(

But if I just made a page linking to the site, that's unfair and is spam, they would remove it and we could lose ratings for spam. I have also made a page about SHN a year back in Wikipedia and they did just that - flagged the page as spam and removed it.

Edited by Lord_Chris

Useful Articles

Do we have a Facebook page? Or a twitter?

Edited by Mathew Steel

I've attempted to create a facebook numerous times but every time I enter the site's support email (support@strongholdnation.co.uk) it says that the email is invalid. I'm working on trying to get a twitter at the moment, but I'd want to really create them at the same time.

Do you know of any way to get a facebook with that email? I think it's pretty complex to get it, and to be honest, I haven't really got the will to learn if it's going to be that complex.

Useful Articles

Why not make a page with a separate personal email. Then in the description give contact emails etc.

Facebook page might be interesting, but we should keep in mind what we want - to attract people here, not to create another place where people would talk about Stronghold.

Nevertheless, if Chris thinks it might be useful for the community, I could create heading images and other stuff.

Why not make a page with a separate personal email.

I would rather not use a personal email for it unless there is no way around it, I'm trying to keep personal stuff & site stuff separate.

Nevertheless, if Chris thinks it might be useful for the community, I could create heading images and other stuff.

That would be a good idea, but first I'd have to create an account for it.

Useful Articles

Yes, that would be a good idea. I don't think it will draw attention away from the website. We could post download links on the page which would direct them to the website.

In fact this is going back on topic. If people have to register to download. Then boom, we do better as a website with more members!

If people have to register to download. Then boom, we do better as a website with more members!

Yes we'd get more members, but they would register, download a file then never log in again. It happened at first. And I know myself that I hate having to register to a website just to download stuff. And of course, then you think they'll sell your email for advertising and you immediately get suspicious of them.

Useful Articles