EaglePrince

Unable to add search engine on Internet Explorer 11

Hi, I meant to ask if you have this same problem as I do? I have a fresh Windows 7 installed, and in Internet Explorer I have only one search provider, which is Bing. I have nothing against Bing, and I do use it, but now and then I want to use another search engine, and for that I need to go to www.google.com for example, and to search from there.

The thing is that when I go to Manage add-ons, and when I go to Search Providers, I follow the bottom link Find more search engines, which leads me to this page:

ss.jpg.8abbe1de8267d419f897fd6f54ea3edb.jpg

Because of this I decided to visit iegallery manually, but then when I click on Yahoo Search for example, and when I later click on Add to Internet Explorer, nothing happens. This is the page for Yahoo Search I mentioned for example, but same happens for any other search engine.

Do you have any idea how to fix this?

Internet Explorer is a good browser, but things like this let people down when they try to use it.

Edited by EaglePrince

I just meant to come by, and tell that I have solved the issue, and it turned out that is a temporary issue. I was able to wait until MS releases a new update which solves this new issue, but I solved it by uninstalling IE11, adding those search engines, and then installing IE11 again. The main issue here was the fact that I was a little inpatient, although it is the case that this feature doesn't work at the moment. :)

ss1.jpg.fc200b67db27dbc7253150a25130788f.jpg

Edited by EaglePrince

Well, it's always glad to know the issue was solved. :)

I'll move this to Computer Support as it's more computer related.

I've managed to change my default search provider a different way (there are actually two ways I'm aware of, but one depends on you having at least Windows x Pro otherwise a registry hack is needed)

Using Internet Explorer, go to:

Tools -> Addons -> Search providers

Through the Microsoft Management Console (using Windows x Pro version or better): http://blogofanitadmin.blogspot.co.uk/2011/05/group-policy-changing-default-search.html

The fields have eyes, and the woods have ears.

⁠— Geoffrey Chaucer, The Canterbury Tales: The Knight's Tale

Useful Articles

Thanks! I forgot about this section at first, and I put it there where I should have...

Yes, that's how it would have worked to me too, but my issue was that I wasn't able to add a new search engine, while Bing was my only search engine in IE. :) I tried it now myself, this option you describe works great. The only thing that didn't work was when you try to add a search engine from IE Gallery.

Luckily, I managed to do what I wanted to do, and now we have a workaround until Microsoft doesn't fix the issue. :) I have noticed at Microsoft Community that I was not alone in this.